After browsing through WANNABE you have come across a great part or full time job vacancy that you want to apply for. But maybe this is your first time applying for a job and you’re not sure about the right way to go about it? That’s why we have put together some helpful steps to applying for your first job vacancy below:
- Do some research – just because you have seen the job vacancy posted on WANNABE and have read the job description it doesn’t mean you are ready to start applying. It is always a good idea to do some research on the company before applying so that you have good questions to ask them, and it will show them how keen to join the company you are.
- Write a CV – although there will not be much to include in this CV if it is your first working position, you should still include all of your previous and current education, qualifications (predicted grades if not complete), and skills & experiences plus how these experiences have affected your skill set. Try the Connexions CV Creator here
- Write a cover letter/email – your cover letter shouldn’t be longer than a page and should explain why you are interested in the vacancy, why you think you fit the position, what skills you have that would help you perform well, and a short thank you for taking the time to read your application. Learn more about work skills & your skills here.
- Pick up the phone – If there is a contact number listed on the vacancy then it is a good idea to call the company contact to let them know you are interested and to offer to send over your cover letter and email. Note- before calling make sure to note their name and use this when speaking to them, also plan what you are going to say before making the call.
- Send CV & Cover letter – once you have sent these documents to the company you will usually be contacted back to say they have received them. If this doesn’t happen then feel free to call the make contact again to confirm that they received the documents.
- Wait – usually when you have sent your CV & Cover letter the company will tell you how long it will be before you hear from them about their decision. If it passes the stated period and you have not heard from them then make contact again and just ask how they are getting on with the process and when you can expect to hear from them again.
- Accept the job – if they contact you to let you know that they want to offer you the job it is still important to stay professional and not scream with excitement, however do express how happy and grateful you are to get the offer.
- Celebrate! – if you did not get the job it is not the end of the world, and it can be a good chance to speak to the employer one last time to ask why they did not select you, this way you can take on board their feedback and make improvements for your next job application.
Following these steps will help to appear professional to employers and set you apart from other candidates.